As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety.
By law you must:
- Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in safe condition
- Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue (CP12)
- Keep a record of each safety check (for 2 years)
- Use a Gas Safe Registered engineer
- Issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.
It is also advisable to keep your tenants informed about their responsibilities while they are staying in your property.
You can find out more information about your responsibilities as a landlord on the HSE’s website.
We have a nationwide network of gas safe registered engineers, who are able to provide gas safety checks for just £75. For more information, please click here.