Things to remember once you have found a tenant

Now that a new tenancy is about to start, there are a few things you need to remember to do and a few other things to bear in mind for later.

Right to rent checks – You must check that all tenants over the age of 18, whether named on the tenancy agreement or not, have the right to live in the UK. You must check the original documents with the holder present, and keep copies of these documents throughout the tenancy and for 12 months after the end of the tenancy. For more information, click here.

Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors – ALL rental properties must have at least one working smoke detector on each floor. This applies to ALL tenancies, whether new or existing. All rooms used as living accommodation and containing a fixed combustion appliance (excluding gas cookers & hobs) must have a working carbon monoxide detector. These must be tested on the first day of the tenancy and at any subsequent inspection.

Gas safety certification – It is a legal requirement for a landlord to have a valid gas safety certificate in place at all times during a tenancy. A copy of the gas safety certificate should be given to the tenants on the day they move in. This certificate must be renewed annually. Click here to order yours now.

Information to provide to the tenant at the start of the tenancy – From 1 October 2015 all tenancies (including renewals but not tenancies that continue on a statutory periodic basis) will be subject to new regulations associated with the service of Section 21 notices.

From 1 October 2015 you must provide your tenants with the following documents at the commencement of the tenancy/signing of a contract renewal:

A valid gas safety certificate (CP12)
A valid Electrical Installation Certificate
A copy of the EPC
A copy of the “How to rent” checklist

Deposit protection – If you have asked us to handle this for you, there’s nothing for you to do. If you have chosen to lodge your tenant’s deposit yourself, please remember that you must protect the deposit and issue the prescribed information to your tenant within 30 days of receipt (it’s not too late for us to handle this for you – click here to order this service now).

Rent guarantee insurance – If you have not already done so, you may also like to consider rent guarantee insurance. This insurance protects you if your tenants fail to pay the rent. Please contact us on 03300 883973 for more information.

Changing details with utilities and councils – You should take meter readings on the day the tenants move in. These are usually recorded in the inventory. At your earliest convenience, you should contact all utility providers and the council to update them with the new tenant’s details. Most have online forms that you can use to change these details.

Contract renewal – When the fixed term of the tenancy is coming to an end, it can offer great peace of mind and reassurance to both tenants and landlords to sign a new fixed-term contract. Simply contact us if you would like us to draw up a contract renewal or click here to order yours now. All of our contracts default to a statutory periodic tenancy (a tenancy that rolls from month to month) once the initial fixed term has ended if no new contract is signed. If this suits you and your tenant, you don’t need to do anything.

Changing your details – If anything changes in your situation, for example, you move, change phone number or change email address, make sure you let your tenants know. Also remember to contact the company that has protected your deposit, as they may need to contact you in the future. If we’ve lodged your deposit for you or if we manage your property, you also need to let us know.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.