Landlord Safety Certificates


Gas Safety

Where there are any gas appliances in a property provided by the landlord, the landlord must ensure that annual gas safety checks (CP12) are carried out. These checks must be carried out by a qualified gas engineer.

A copy of the CP12 be given to the tenant before they move in. A new check must be carried out every 12 months, and copies of the new certificate must be given to the tenant.

Like an MoT, the check can be done up to 2 months before the current certificate’s expiry date, and the new certificate can be forward-dated to run from the date that the last certificate expired.

Electrical Safety & Electrical Appliances

Electrical safety certificates are not currently a legal requirement properties that are not HMOs.

Landlords of HMOs are required to have an electrical safety inspection performed at least once every 5 years. The inspection certificate must be retained and provided to the local authority upon request.

Where a property is provided with electrical appliances it is the landlords responsibility to make sure that they are safe at the outset of letting. It is strongly advised to perform regular tests of the portable appliances to ensure they are safe.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Before a tenant moves in there must be an energy performance certificate in place (note, some exclusions apply). New legislation requires EPC’s for let properties to have a minimum of an E rating, or to have an exemption from the new minimum energy efficiency standards.

A copy of the EPC certificate must be given to any tenant who moves in to the property.

You cannot serve a Section 21 notice for a new tenancy in England after 1st October 2015 if you have not provided the tenant with the EPC.

Legionella Assessment

Landlords are required to perform a risk assessment for Legionnaire’s Disease. If they don’t do this they could be issued with a fine. However, the amount of risk assessment required depends on the type of property and landlords should be wary of claims that all properties need extensive water sampling tests.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.